Five Questions You Should Ask Before Consulting a Settlement Planner
PLANNING CHECKLIST #9
by Rick Bishop
Principal, Settlement Planners
It’s not at all uncommon for the defense to argue to have their own structured settlement person managing the financial aspects of a settlement. Not surprisingly, these arrangements often favor the interest of the defense over the interest of the client – sometimes resulting in significant long-term liability for the plaintiff attorney.
The following questions will help attorneys assess their own long-term risk:
- Have you failed to retain your own financial expert?
- Are you neglecting Medicare Set Aside Accounts?
- Are you releasing your client’s medical records to defendants without consideration of HIPAA requirements?
- Are you inviting taxable confidentiality clauses into settlement agreements?
- Are you unaware of tax consequences in taxable damage cases?
If you answered, “Yes” to any of these questions, give us a call to find out how we can help you and your client.
Call today. 800-727-3885.